Sunday, July 20, 2008

Detour via Brisbane

I spent the weekend in Brisbane and, of course, I packed my Tour de France KAL project, Montparnasse. But what I forgot to pack were any additional skeins of yarn. So, most frustratingly, I finished the few rows that took me to the end of the skein and then my half-completed jacket languished for the rest of the weekend. This is what it looks like - about two thirds of the back finished in addition to the fronts and one sleeve already done.


If I were feeling more cheerful about this, I guess I could draw some comparison between the state of the 'real' Tour de France, where the leaders' board has remained unchanged for the last few stages and my knitting. But the cyclists have at least covered some terrain, while I'm still in the same place. I feel I've drifted to the back of the peleton, if not to the autobus (the group of riders usually marshaled by Robbie McEwan to ensure they finish the stage just within the time limit). So I, along with the riders, will face significant challenges over the mountain stages of the next few days.

Despite the knitting fiasco, I enjoyed my visit to Brisbane, spending most of my time with my doted-upon grand-daughter. Lots of occasions for knitting modelling as she wore her BSJ and matching hat when we went to dinner one evening, and then her February Baby Sweater when we visited the Picasso Exhibition. The FBS is perfect for the Brisbane winter climate.


The exhibition '
Picasso and his Collection' at the Queensland Art Gallery is wonderful. As the title indicate, it displays paintings, drawings, prints and objects from Picasso's own collection. One of the themes is the influences upon his work - of 'primitive' painters from the seventeenth century as well as the almost naive works of Rousseau; of Renoir; and of the art of the Pacific region and French Africa. But I was almost more interested in noting the works Picasso acquired over many years through swaps with fellow artists - not only was he a most assiduous and innovative artist, but he clearly had an eye for an advantageous acquisition. I was amazed by some of Picasso's own works in the exhibition that were done at the end of his life - a series of erotic drawings and an assertive possible self-portrait that demonstrated that at 90 he was still extraordinarily forceful and expressive. Great to have the opportunity to see such a well-curated exhibition.

4 comments:

Bex said...

Argh i hate it when i forget to bring more yarn.

The Picasso exhibit sounds wonderful. The Boi and I were tempted to drive up for the Andy Warhol one - why is Sydney so culturally lacking. Sigh.
:)

Charisse said...

I went away for the weekend too, and not only did I forget all my knitting accessories, but I have since discovered that all the work I did on my TDF sock was in vain because it's too big :(

Emily said...

It sounds as if this Picasso exhibition was really well -curated. Clare and I went to the Picasso museum in Paris, and came away disliking him and all his works (hadn't before).
I must try again with a properly curated exhibition, some time. I do remember the big Braques exhibition in London, which included some Picassos, being very much more enthusing!

Loving the February baby sweater on the dotee!

LynS said...

Thanks Bex, Reecie and Emily for the comments.

Emily, like you, I'm not really a great Picasso fan - I always start looking at his work from a very critical point of view. But I almost always end up reluctantly admiring his innovation, versatility, bravura and sheer brilliance. The QAG exhibition is actually drawn from the Picasso Museum in Paris and curated by someone from that Museum. But somehow it's much more manageable on the scale of this highly selective exhibition.