Friday, June 18, 2010

Double century

As I was writing last night I noted it was my two hundredth blog post. It's just under two years since I started my blog, so that's an average of two posts a week. I'm astonished. As I've noted before, I've spent most of my non-working life avoiding writing. The work I've done has always involved writing - but that's writing with a particular purpose; to a formula. Except for a few sporadic efforts to keep a diary, usually lasting a matter of weeks at the most, I've never before written for pleasure. I wonder what makes blogging different... having an audience, however small? Receiving comments and feedback? Being able to integrate photos? Not needing to write long, sustained pieces?

Of the posts I've labeled, roughly a third are about knitting and around 15% are about travel - broadly defined, as I've included such trips as that to Wollongong for the Knitters' Camp under the label 'travel'. After that, posts are roughly equally distributed among a range of topics - such things as films, Sydney, family, books and home - this last growing rapidly as I'm blogging about renovations. Pretty much a reflection of my life, once you take work out of it.

For some time I've been hearing comments here and there from bloggers that they're losing interest in blogging. I guess this is inevitable with greater choice among forms of social networking. But I'm still interested and engaged by the medium, so I'll still be blogging for a while to come.

8 comments:

Sally said...

I'm very glad to hear!!! Congrats!

Cecilia said...

I so enjoy reading your blog! Thank you for sharing a part of your life with us. And I'm very happy to hear you are not sick of blogging yet!

Sel and Poivre said...

No matter how you slice it, blogging is writing. It requires a sense of narrative and generally has a point to propose or assert - the other social media lend themselves to something more akin to spontaneous expression and more singular thoughts. While everyone seems to at least take a run at trying most new ways of connecting I wonder if once the novelty of all these things wear off we just eventually come to think of ourselves and perhaps label others as "Tweeter" or "Bloggers" or "Texters" etc. In the meantime I think there will continue to be mass adoption of new ways and means and then waves of migration as everyone seeks to sort out just where they best fit in.

missfee said...

YAY

I love reading your posts Lyn

Thanks so much for writing for us

Lynne said...

It's good to read that you'll be blogging for a while to come - I enjoy reading your blog.

Bells said...

yes please do stay on blogging!

There was all sorts of speculation that ravelry would kill knit blogging and if it did, it only killed the blogs where people just wanted to record their knitted items. For the most part, people who like to write, who like to craft good posts, are still more draw to blogging than not. And the argument that twitter replaces blogs (which I know you dind't mention, I'm just on a roll!) is silly too - 140 characters is not the same as writing a decent post. Two different kinds of media!

Anyway, congrats Lyn. I love your corner of the web.

Ruby Girl said...

I am glad you are going to blog for a while longer, I really enjoy reading your posts.

Rose Red said...

Huzzah for you continuing to blog Lyn. Soon we'll be so old school with the blogs that it'll be trendy again!