Saturday, August 25, 2012

A gift for an old friend

I've knitted a scarf as a birthday gift for a very old friend.

Pavement 3

A friend of forty-eight years standing to be precise. He's celebrating a significant birthday tonight with a party at a grand venue [which has raised all sorts of uncertainties. I don't frequent grand venues. The dress code on the invitation is 'smart'. Which of my clothes is most appropriate? A dress, I suspect. Maybe even a frock? Heels? - of which I have one pair. Dither, dither...]

Suddenly the scarf seems an odd and eccentric gift. Not everybody shares my enthusiasm for scarves, and it somehow seems a bit out of place to take such an informal gift to a rather formal occasion.

Still, at this stage of our lives there's not a lot we need, and gifts (except for those to knitters) do become tricky. I'm just hoping that even if the scarf doesn't prove to be useful it will signify that I still care sufficiently about out friendship to have spent time making a personalised gift. Even if it is seen as a bit eccentric.

It's not that the scarf itself is eccentric. The pattern, Pavement, is a classic reversible cabled scarf by Jared Flood (Brooklyn Tweed). The yarn is Shelter, also by Brooklyn Tweed and is a tweedy worsted weight yarn in a rich, slightly rusty burgundy colour (impossible for me to photograph accurately - it's not nearly as pink-toned as these photographs make it appear). A pattern with cables every fourth row is a bit of a pain to knit, but the outcome is very neat, regular and pleasing.

Pavement 2

But I'm still worried that a handknitted scarf is a rather eccentric significant birthday gift.

9 comments:

Lynne said...

I think it's lovely and, since you've been friends for a long time, I'm sure he knows you well enough to appreciate the thought and the work that went into it.

I may be a bit naive, what's the difference between a dress and a frock?

missfee said...

I think this is a perfect gift - personal and thoughtful special for a significant birthday, and an expression of what you think of them as each stitch you have knit you would of thought of them

I'd go some trippens something black and comfortable and one of your gorgeous scarves or necklaces

Sally said...

It's a perfect and lovely gift! Yes, probably something black and comfortable with a gorgeous scarf. Enjoy the party!

jp said...

Such a beautiful thoughtful gift.

I am sure it will be appreciated.

Rose Red said...

I don't think I have ever seen you dressed in anything other than something I would describe as smart! And a gorgeous hand knit scarf is one of the most thoughtful gifts you could give, I think.

Brendaknits said...

Hi Lyn, I am newly home from my summer migration and getting caught up on blog reading. Your gift scarf is wonderful. Think how elelgant you will look presenting it while wearing high heels. :)
Here in Canada we call it puttering. My husband has it down to a science. Hope you enjoy your retirement.

Anonymous said...

I think that it is lovely gift - but maybe I am eccentric too?

DrK said...

i think its a really thoughtful and generous gift and i think it will be appreciated as same. i hope you had a great time and didnt have to stress too much about what to wear!

Unknown said...

The opportunity to attend a Grand Venue is exciting!

I bet you were the best dressed person there.

The scarf is beautiful, and I feel certain he would be the kind of person to appreciate both the item and the effort. You wouldn't be friends with hin for all those years if he weren't I think.