Sunday, September 29, 2013

You can wear your knitting

When I listed the reasons to go to Knit Camp in my last post I forgot one very important reason - you can wear your knitting. Of course you can wear your knitting at any time, but you don't get many opportunities to wear your knitting in such an appreciative environment of mutual admiration. The weather was perfect - the days just cool enough to display scarves, small shawls and vests, and the evenings a bit cooler to warrant cardigans and warmer shawls. Lots of wonderful garments and accessories to examine and envy.

I was able to wear my Northmavine Hap in the evenings, and in the daytime my new scarf knitted to the Windward pattern by Heidi Kirrmaier had its first public outing:

Windward 2

This is such a great pattern. I already have a fingering weight woollen Windward scarf that I made about 18 months ago and it has been worn and worn. I like its irregularity and asymmetry. I wanted to make another version that I could wear in warmer weather, so I chose Noro Sekku with its part cotton composition in a thick-and-thin laceweight. The Sekku has the usual unpredictable and surprising Noro colour changes which I wanted to use to emphasise the changes in knitting direction in this pattern. But because just some stripes are never enough, I decided to make the scarf with two-row stripes of the Sekku. Very hectic. Just what I wanted.

windward 3

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this! I may need to make another Windward now! My first one was just gray.

Brendaknits said...

"An appreciative environment of mutual admiration." Aah - the key to most good things in life.

DrK said...

there are some patterns that noro is perfect for, and im pretty sure this is one of them. it is gorgeous, and very you!

Rose Red said...

I love this so much. So you! So perfect with your outfits.